Windsor Road Roundabout
Call for Public Art
“Art is at the Heart of the Community” on Windsor Road
Art Project Description
The Town of Windsor is soliciting public art entries of existing sculptures to be considered for an outdoor, temporary (24-36 months) installation in a new traffic roundabout located prominently on Windsor Road at Old Redwood Highway – a gateway to the vibrant downtown area of Windsor located in Sonoma county. The sculpture will be located adjacent to a new upscale shopping center and a future 387-unit residential development. This new mixed-use area will provide shopping, dining, office space and residential opportunities offering great exposure and destination for the community and visitors. Neighboring the roundabout is also the Sonoma County Library, Town Civic Center and the Windsor Town Green, considered to be the heart of the community.
Art Scope and Requirements
The theme of this project is “Art is at the Heart of the Community” and should represent the essence of the Windsor community including the significant location and its cultural relevance to the region. Special consideration will be given to art which incorporates kinetic elements including but not limited to wind, solar and kinetic mediums.
- Sculpture must be existing. No conceptual designs will be considered.
- Sculpture must fit on a concrete base foundation that is 20 feet in diameter and six inches deep.
- Sculpture must be substantially fabricated and sufficiently safe to withstand all local weather and outdoor conditions.
- Consulting a structural engineer is highly encouraged.
- Sculpture must arrive in the same condition as portrayed in photographs.
- Sculpture must have the scale and proportion for a vehicle roundabout. Small scale sculptures will not be considered.
- There is particular interest in a sculpture that expresses kinetic properties and includes energy production of wind or solar
For more information on the site and specific site plans, please contact staff below.
The artist(s) affiliated with the sculpture selected for the roundabout will be paid a stipend of $2,500 after the successful installation of the art. Temporary plaques with the details of the art will be included with each installation, approved by the artist and paid for by the Town. As an option to the artist, the displayed art will be made available for purchase. Should the sculpture be purchased while on display, the Town of Windsor will retain 15% of the sale as commission and will be put towards future public art projects. Sculptures purchased by donors (non-profit, private or business) and donated to the Town, may be relocated to a permanent location within town limits, as deemed appropriate by the Town with recommendations from the Public Art Advisory Committee (PAAC).
The PAAC will serve as the jury, review the submissions and select a finalist and alternate based on the following criteria:
- Submittal of all required materials as outlined in this Call;
- Artistic merit as evidenced by submitted materials;
- Experience creating successful works of art for public spaces;
- Artwork is the appropriate scale for the site.
- Evidence of track record/ability to successfully produce the artwork with a projected timeline and budget;
- Availability and ability to work for the term of the project;
- Creative interpretation of the theme
June 16 Call Announced July 29 Proposals due
August PAAC Review and Recommendations
October 5 Town Council selection
Oct/Nov Delivery and Art Installation
Nov 2016 – Nov 2018 Art Displayed
How to ApplyA complete submission must include all the information and materials described below:
- Letter/Statement of Interest - In one page, please describe how the submission piece relates to the theme of this project. Please include your name and contact information, including address, phone number, email and web site and any experience and location of other Public Art Installations.
- One professional reference - References should have an intimate knowledge of your work and working methods in public settings. Please include name, affiliated organization (if appropriate) address, phone number and email address for each individual. Please indicate relationship to each reference.
- Individual Work - Artist/Team may submit up to three sculptures for consideration.
- Images of Work - Artists/teams may submit up to six images and one video 60 seconds or less for each submission which must include a front and back viewpoint and one of installation requirements.
- Submission Fee – $10 per sculpture.
Olivia Lemen, Management Analyst
Office Hours: Monday through Thursday, 7 am to 6 pm
About Windsor, Ca
The Town of Windsor is a family-oriented community with an exceptional quality of life. The Town of Windsor offers a wide variety of services and recreational opportunities, well-planned business areas, and a historical downtown. Windsor is located immediately adjacent to Highway 101 between Santa Rosa and Healdsburg, just 63 miles northwest of San Francisco, and 32 miles from the Pacific Ocean. With a population of 26,955 Windsor was incorporated as a general law City in July 1992. Encompassing 6.5 square miles, Windsor offers a modern, relaxed lifestyle, and a growing retail and industrial center for the North County, all set amidst a beautiful oak-clad hills and valleys of Sonoma County.
Public Art Advisory Committee Vision
The vision for Windsor is an art destination that raises the potential for education, innovation, collaborative community engagement, and cultural exploration.